[Computational Complexity] Baseball and Opera

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007
      The New York Times reports on a possible merger of the two major US satellite radio companies. This would resolve one of the great dilemmas as XM carries the audio of every Major League Baseball game and Sirius has a station devoted to live and archival broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera.

      On the face of it, you would expect most baseball fans would rather watch paint dry than attend an opera and vice versa. But I'm not alone among the people who fanatically follow both. I can't pin down the exact connection between opera and baseball and one can make many philosophical comparisons (e.g. both require large teams but at most fixed times individuals rule the stage, both require a good attention span). Most lovers of both that I know are also scientists though that might just be my lack of a good sample. And I can't explain the Italians who seem to embrace opera and soccer.

      In the academic world we get little choices about where we can live, so I find myself extremely lucky to be in a city with a great tradition in both baseball and opera. I've mentioned baseball more than opera in this weblog, but it was the baseball season tickets that I gave up once the kids were born.

      If you are a great lover of baseball or opera you should give the other a try. And if you read the title of today's post and thought about the browser, shame on you.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 1/03/2007 08:48:00 AM