[Computational Complexity] Entertainment Tidbits

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2006
      Can a CS degree propel you to a major acting role on a popular new TV series? Worked for this person.

      I heard a complaint that in the movie Deja Vu they used face-recognition algorithms to find a suitcase in a large city in a matter of seconds. Because it's important to keep the computer science accurate in a time-travel movie.

      In the last Numb3rs, Charlie the mathematician was seen carrying a copy of the SIAM Journal on Computing, a prominent TCS journal. Was he reading my paper or yours? At the end of the episode Larry the physicist left on the space shuttle to spend six months on the International Space Station while the actor, Peter MacNicol, moves over temporarily to the show 24. Couldn't Larry just have gone on a normal sabbatical?

      On a more serious note we finally got around to watching Al Gore's documentary An Inconvenient Truth. Gore seriously impressed me with how he laid out the arguments and effects of global warming. The movie really affected my daughters leading to some interesting family discussions about warming and what we can do. I highly recommend watching the movie for those who haven't yet done so.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/20/2006 03:30:00 PM