[Computational Complexity] My International Day

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006
      Friday morning I IM'd a co-author in India, in the evening I Skyped to Hong Kong. A Dutch professor emailed me about a paper we have with co-authors in Russia and the Czech republic. A New Zealand professor asks me a complexity question. On the train ride home I worked on a paper with Portuguese co-authors.

      What amazes me is not just the international connections but that I usually don't even realize when I deal with someone overseas. Academic research has gone truly global, where I can call, instant message, email and send papers to colleagues across oceans as quickly and easily as across campus. And as we get more used to this technology the smaller the world becomes and at some point we stop connecting people to countries but rather to points on the internet.

      On the other hand these colleagues didn't get to share my experience with Chicago's first blizzard of the season. Too bad I couldn't IM the snow to India.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/03/2006 07:53:00 PM