[Computational Complexity] The Future of Science

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2006
      New Scientist celebrates their 50 years by asking about 70 "Brilliant Minds" to forecast the next 50 years of science. Several researchers (all well-known though a few overrated) talk about math and computing including Tim Gowers focusing on the P versus NP problem.
      This problem gets to the heart of mathematics, because mathematical research itself has the property I have described: it seems to be easier to check that a proof is correct than to discover it in the first place. Therefore, if we found a solution to the P = NP problem it would profoundly affect our understanding of mathematics, and would rank alongside the famous undecidability results of Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing.
      Thanks to Chris Masse for the pointer.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 11/17/2006 02:04:00 PM