[Computational Complexity] Back to School Night

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2006
      My daughter started middle school and as parents we attended back to school night. In the evening we follow our daughters schedule and see her various classrooms and teachers.

      One teacher talked about the need to improve the students' "keyboarding" skills. Too bad the typing lessons I took in high school have gone to waste.

      In the math classroom the teacher had two problems on the board and asked the parents to solve them.

      1. 1/2×2/3×3/4×4/5×5/6×6/7×7/8
      2. What is the next three letters in this sequence: T F S E
      It truly felt like I had gone back to sixth grade, the little math nerd who knew the answers but didn't want to show off.

      I got caught a little off guard on how the other parents struggled with the questions, at least those that tried. No wonder math education suffers when the parents, most of whom have professional careers, don't use much math techniques past the sixth grade level. How can they stress the importance of continuing mathematical education when they don't use it themselves.

      Or do they? Math teaches more than just how to multiply fractions and solve equations. Learning math involves seeing how to tackle a problem, logically analyzing it and finding the right approach and then applying that approach. The tools students learn in math class will help them in their careers even if the problems don't involve numbers at all.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 9/18/2006 08:17:00 AM