[Computational Complexity] Mikhail Alekhnovich (1978-2006)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 5:14 AM
      Thanks to Claire for guest blogging during my vacation. I apologize for the various technical difficulties on the weblog last week and all should be better now.

      Unfortunately I come back to news of a loss of a young member of the complexity community. Mikhail Alekhnovich died in a white-water rafting accident in Russia on August 5. Misha, who just finished his first year as an assistant professor at UCSD Math, had some very deep results in theory, most notably in propositional proof complexity.

      Misha did his postdoctoral work at the Institute for Advanced Study and the IAS theory page has more on this tragedy.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 8/20/2006 07:12:00 AM