[Computational Complexity] Fulkerson Prize

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      The winners of the 2006 Fulkerson Prize have been announced. The Fulkerson prize is given every three years to up to three papers in discrete mathematics. Great papers all. The Robertson-Seymour Theorem required twenty papers. Roughly it states that any graph property (like planarity) closed under edge contractions and edge and vertex deletions has a finite set of forbidden minors. This result has an interesting consequence that all such properties have a polynomial-time algorithm though there is no known method of constructing the algorithm from the property.

      I disagree with Luca and Oded on awards. While theory is a team sport, we do like ways to recognize the very best work and individuals in our field. And awards get us talking about the best work. Even when we don't agree with the winners, the discussions that follow help us understand what we think is important.

      By the end of the month we'll know the winners of the Fields Medal and the Nevanlinna prize. The excitement mounts.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 8/02/2006 12:37:00 PM