[Computational Complexity] Bouncing a Little French Girl

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2006
      Those who know me well know my addiction to junk food, often referred to as "Lance Food" during my graduate school days. America has its great variety of such culinary delights like Cheesesteaks and Buffalo Chicken Wings but Europeans do very well on their own going well beyond the omnipresent American chains.

      Uitsmijter Francesinha

      In Amsterdam I always go for the Uitsmijter (literally "Bouncer", like at a club), basically an open-faced sandwich with fried eggs on top. I usually go for the Rostbief Uitsmijter and the Ham-Kaas version (Ham and Cheese and the Eggs) can really clog those arteries.

      But the Uitsmijter is downright healthy compared to the Porto delicacy Francesinha ("Little French Girl"). One starts with a thick slice of bread then add layers of ham, steak and sausage. Cover with another slice of bread and pour melted cheese on top. Then add the fried egg and smother the whole thing in gravy. Right now Porto is having their Festa da Francesinha by the river where restaurants from all over the city come to offer their versions of the Francesinha.

      Luis Antunes says "A little bad food is good for stomach every now and then." After eating a Francesinha at lunch today I'm not sure my stomach agrees.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 7/13/2006 12:43:00 PM