[Computational Complexity] A Super Addiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      New superhero movies like Superman Returns and X-Men: The Last Stand remind me of my one time comic book addiction. As a child, I liked to read superhero comics but they had simple stories of saving the world. As I grew up the stories became less interesting and I stopped reading them. In my senior year of college I had a friend who collected comic books and convinced me to start reading them again as the stories have added some sophistication to them. During my last summer before I went to grad school I read through much of his collection. In my first few years of graduate schools I continued to reach comics voraciously and at one point I used a mail-order service to get 25-30 comic books a month.

      At some point I realized that I read the books not so much for enjoyment but to finish before the next month's batch arrived. So I went cold turkey, I stopped reading comics and never went back.

      However I had gotten my apartment mate hooked and he decided to take over my subscription. Several years later, this would be the mid-90's, the two of us were walking around and entered a comic book store for old times sake. I saw a rack of new releases and we had a conversation that went something like this.

      Me: There's Batman, I thought he was paralyzed.
      AM: He got better.
      Me: I heard Superman was dead.
      AM: He got better too.
      Me: And the Flash? I remember when he died.
      AM: That's Kid Flash all grown up.
      Me: At least Wonder Woman hasn't changed.
      AM: Actually that's her mother.

      The Chicago Tribune just ran an editorial on Spiderman revealing his identity to the world. No worries, in due time the world will forget.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 6/29/2006 02:49:00 PM