[Computational Complexity] Finding a Mate

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      A female professor once told a story of a student who asked her out on a date. After she politely declined, the student asked her if she could be his advisor. Apparently it is harder to find a spouse than to get a Ph.D.

      Which brings me to a question asked by a commenter on my Two Body post: How is a CS grad student to find love?

      I get asked this question surprisingly often, even though I have been out of "the game" for nearly two decades. My best advice: Find some activity you like and join a club on or off campus that matches that activity. For example, concert band, contra dancing, running, skiing, sailing, etc. You'll meet other lonely people who share at least one interest with you.

      I was never good at bars, clubs and blind dates. People like us don't always make a good first impression; that's why it's best to have an opportunity to make friends over time before asking someone out.

      I missed the whole on-line dating scene. I have known some people who have had great success with them and others who haven't. Sunday the Chicago Tribune highlighted a new dating site Geek2Geek. Only for the desperate.

      Does it matter whether you date an academic or not? Not really, just find the right person for you. Making a two-body problem is often harder than solving it.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 6/26/2006 09:39:00 PM