[Computational Complexity] Campus Maps

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2006
      As an academic I can't count how many different college campuses I have visited. Most US universities produce beautiful glossy maps to make it easy to navigate to and around the university but you can't get one of these maps unless someone mails you a copy. So I go to the university's website and can usually find a page of maps.

      The University of Wisconsin map page has a beautiful flash version of their campus map. Someone put considerable time to design such a completely useless map. What am I supposed to do, walk around campus with my laptop open to figure my way around? Wisconsin also has a PDF version of their map but when printed the type is so small the map is also useless. Admittedly Chicago does not do maps much better.

      The glossy maps are typically much larger than the usual printer page, but still universities can do better than just creating PDFs of shrunken versions of their usual map. Princeton, has their useless interactive map, but their printed map does a nicer job with a second page having a building directory very useful with a duplex printer.

      Some day we will carry portable GPS devices which when we visit a campus will download building information and guide us to where we want to go. Until that day universities should take the effort they use to create fancy interactive maps and instead focus on producing a "print and go" map designed specifically for standard letter-size paper.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 6/21/2006 08:16:00 AM