[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Whose hands are on the FOCS cover?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2003
      FOCS
Cover ImageSometimes I learn interesting aspects of the history of theory from this weblog. In a comment on an old post on conference covers, Pekka Orponen left a comment saying that Alvy Ray Smith originally designed the FOCS cover back in 1973, when the conference was SWAT: Switching and Automata Theory. Here is his story about the cover where he states the hands are his.

      Smith had three papers in SWAT before moving into computer graphics and co-founding companies such as Pixar. So next time you are looking up a FOCS paper take a look at the hands of a one-time theorist who made a difference.

      --
      Posted by Lance Fortnow to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 6/23/2003 12:24:22 PM