[Computational Complexity] Beauty and the Bee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      Last night my daughters and I watched a New Jersey girl win the National Spelling Bee. The final three contestants were all females though my kids were rooting for the boy from Illinois.

      Championship spelling requires considerable memorization as you'd expect but it has a mathematical aspect as well. One needs to know how to put together words using very specific rules that depend often on the word's origins, which the spellers can ask about.

      A major network (ABC) broadcasted the spelling bee for the first time. ABC once televised the Miss America Pageant, which has since moved to a small cable station because of lack of viewer interest. Amazing to see Beauty lose to the Bee.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 6/02/2006 07:30:00 AM