[Computational Complexity] Flying American

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      A commenter asked about the Fly America Act that requires, with few exceptions, that when traveling abroad on US money, such as an NSF grant, one must use a US-based carrier. This silly protectionist law just supports American airlines with tax-payer dollars and in the end wastes both money and time. Not only should I be able to fly a foreign carrier to other countries I should even be able to fly a foreign carrier between US cities.

      As a practical matter the Act is more a nuisance than a serious problem. US carriers have an extensive collection of foreign routes, you can fly most foreign flights via a US-airline codeshare, and in a jam one could launder some grant money to a non-grant account and then use non-grant money to fly the foreign carrier. Not that I ever have, ever would or ever condone taking the last action.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/24/2006 08:13:00 AM