[Computational Complexity] Game Science

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11 12:11 PM
      Ehud Kalai proposes renaming the Game Theory Society to the Game Science Society and welcomes your comments. The goal of changing the name of the society is to change the name of the field to better describe what the field does and broaden its image.
      An important example where the expanded name may get additional support is within a university. For example, it is hard to imagine the creation of a department devoted to the study of a theory. On the other hand a department devoted to study a science seems more plausible. To put things in perspective think of an analogy within another young field. Devoting major resources to a subject called "computing theory" less likely than devoting major resources to a subject called "computer science."
      I've mentioned changing the name of Game Theory before but then again I never felt Computer Science is a great name. Following Kalai's reasoning, what if we renamed "Theory of Computing" to "The Science of Computing". Would that make our field sound more noble and generate more funding?

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/11/2006 02:10:00 PM