[Computational Complexity] Student Weblogs

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2006
      A few days ago I put a look of horror into one of our graduate students when I went up to him and simply said "You should be careful about what you write in your weblog."

      The number of weblogs continue to grow and more and more students are starting to put their thoughts online. Many of them write brutally honest opinions of some of their academic and non-academic experiences or just write very silly or nasty stuff about themselves or each other.

      You might think that only the fellow students you have told about your weblog read your weblog, but chains of links are easily followed. Many of us also have automated searches; if you link to my weblog or use the phrase "Computational Complexity", I'll see what you have said. If you really want to limit your readership you can put in some password protection and I strongly suggest that you do so.

      Luckily for the student above, I just laugh off such weblog entries, but they can come back to haunt you. When you apply for jobs, you will get Googled and your odd weblog entries can count against you. Deleting your entries off the internet does not necessarily make them disappear, they might have been downloaded or cached.

      Just remember when you write your next post, the Internet never forgets.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/19/2006 11:53:00 AM