[Computational Complexity] The iCal Effect

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2006
      The iCal standard allows sharing of events and calendars. The standard has been around for many years and has been popular with Apple users but the new Google Calendar will become the first popular cross-platform system to support the standard. While several sharable calendars already exist, we should see a dramatic growth in the use of this standard.

      How would I like to see the iCal standard work in our community?

      • Academic Departments can put their seminar calendar in the iCal format. No longer would I have to subscribe to email list to see events and then have to enter the events that I care about into my calendar manually.
      • Any email that announces an event or meeting should have an attachment I can click that adds it to my calendar.
      • Conferences could create calendars listing the important dates (submission, notficiation, proceedings version, registration) as well as the dates of the conference, perhaps even having the schedule of talks in iCal format with links to the papers.
      • One might also want a theory iCal calendar listing all conferences but this would likely have too much information to be useful.
      • I have wasted much time trying to schedule meetings. Ideally I'd like a system that searches everyone's calendars and finds a common free time.
      • As with many standards there are some great applications not initially anticipated but will develop over times.
      Google with this Calendar and also their Talk program embrace standards where other related companies have not. Early standards like FTP, SMTP (email), HTTP, and HTML have allowed the Internet to grow to the force it is today. The RSS standard has allowed sharing of information in unprecedented ways. The iCal standard will hopefully help us save time in scheduling time.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/14/2006 08:31:00 AM