[Computational Complexity] On P versus NP

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2006
      I receive several requests to comment on various papers claiming to prove P = NP, P ≠NP, or the independence of the P versus NP question on this weblog. I have a healthy skepticism about all such claims and simply don't have time to carefully read and evaluate those papers. If there is verified significant progress towards the P versus NP problem you will read about in on this weblog (though the converse is not true).

      Sometimes I get a flood of requests about a certain P versus NP attempt, such as the upcoming Berkeley math department Workshop on P vs NP. I don't have much to say, the workshop is not involving any of the Berkeley theoretical computer scientists and in the past we've seen other, sometimes famous, mathematicians who have believed they have an approach to the P versus NP problem that in the end don't pan out. To the organizers' credit, at least they acknowledge they don't yet have a proof.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/10/2006 08:50:00 AM