[Computational Complexity] A Referee's Boycott

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      As an editor of Information and Computation I made a request to a scientist to referee a paper. I got the following response.
      I while ago I decided that I would no longer provide my unpaid referee services to certain publishers like Information & Computation's Elsevier, so I can't help you with this.
      Be careful what you wish for. JCSS floated a proposal to pay editors and referees but rescinded it after backlash from the editorial board and the community.

      The authors have submitted their paper to I&C, a respected journal, and deserve to have their paper properly reviewed. We all have a responsibility to do our fair share of refereeing and it takes no more effort to referee a paper for I&C then for any other journal.

      If you truly dislike a certain publisher then don't submit your papers to their journals. But to take a symbolic stand by not refereeing papers only hurts the authors and our community.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/16/2006 10:03:00 AM