[Computational Complexity] Announcements

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      How do we announce important activities in theoretical computer science? With research results we have pretty good systems through various paper archives. But how about conferences (deadlines, accepted papers, registration), grants, jobs, deaths and other information important to the community. With the Internet we expect easy ways to distribute such information and we have several such schemes but none really do a great job.
      • Email Lists such as Theorynet and DMAnet will deliver all sorts of news directly to your inbox. Though moderated both lists have pretty high volume so many people don't subscribe.
      • Search Engines. Want to know the upcoming deadline for ICALP. Just Google on "ICALP 2006". This only work for conferences you already know and won't help with other information.
      • Websites like the Theory Calendar and CRA Job Announcements. These sites are not always up-to-date or complete and only cover a small segment of announcement topics.
      • Newsletters like SIGACT News have a time lag and not everyone is a SIGACT member (though shame on your who aren't).
      • Graduate Students. Some professors use their students to filter the Internet for them. But students are imperfect filters and not everyone has them available.
      • Weblogs. Some people use this and other weblogs to keep up with what is happening in the community. While I try to make sure important news gets heard I certainly am not comprehensive and you might not share my biases.
      What we need is a VGS (Virtual Grad Student), an intelligent program that scours the Internet and reports back to me exactly the information that I would find relevant. Until such agents exist, you'll have to choose your poison from the above or just remain blissfully ignorant.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/02/2006 03:19:00 PM
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2008
        The FOCS conference is coming up October 25-28 in Philly. Early conference and hotel registration by October 3.

        The STACS conference submission deadline is September 15.

        Some Theory Funding News from the Committee for the Advancement of Theoretical Computer Science. Take advantage of the current theory-friendly environment at the NSF while it lasts. If you were putting together a letter of intent for CDI, stop and read this.

        Luca reports on the untimely passing of probabilist Oded Schramm.

        I'm traveling the next two weeks to two of my favorite European haunts, CWI in Amsterdam and Dagstuhl. I'll keep blogging from the other side of the pond.

        --
        Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 9/04/2008 10:41:00 AM