[Computational Complexity] Texas Ice and Ribs

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      This week I am visiting the University of Texas in Austin. Yes, another football school, but they also have a boffo complexity group with Anna Gál, Adam Klivans and David Zuckerman as well as theorists Greg Plaxton, Vijaya Ramachandran and Tandy Warnow.

      But what the school can't handle is the weather. Yesterday's high temperature in Chicago was 15ºF, low was 0 (-18ºC). People in Chicago bundled up and went to work as usual. Never in my memory has the University of Chicago closed due to weather.

      In Austin, the temperature was a balmy 30ºF with a little rain. So they shut down the university and much of the rest of the town. Drivers in Austin cannot handle a little ice. Pathetic.

      But the night was not a loss. Adam Klivans and his fiancée Jean took me to their favorite ribs place in Austin, The County Line. When we got there the restaurant had also shut down due to the weather. But Adam made such a good plea to the manager ("My friend came all the way from Chicago for your ribs"), that they gave us a tray full of beef and pork ribs, chicken and sausage (pictured below). We took them back to Adam's place and a good time was had by all.

      Photo by Jean Kwon

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/08/2005 07:07:00 AM