[Computational Complexity] How I Became a Theorist

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6 7:32 AM
      Someone asked me recently how I became a complexity theorist? After all most high school students don't say they want to be a theoretical computer scientist when they grow up. Every one of us has a story. Here's mine.

      In high school I wanted to be an engineer. "Using science to help society" read one brochure I saw in junior high. I applied to several engineering programs and matriculated at Cornell.

      During my first semester in an engineering math class, the professor writes an equation on the board. I raised my hand "Why is that equation true?"

      "We don't do that in this class" the professor responded.

      I then dropped out of engineering and transferred within Cornell to the College of Arts and Sciences and started my life as a math major. My mother, convinced I would become an unemployed mathematician, talked me into a double major in math and computer science, which was a relatively easy double major at Cornell.

      In my junior year, as part of the CS requirements, I took an introductory theoretical computer science class with Juris Hartmanis. I had found my calling and the rest, as they say, is history.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/06/2005 09:29:00 AM