[Computational Complexity] Making Yourself Known

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      An assistant professor asks
      How do I get on program committees and editorial boards?
      PC chairs and editors-in-chief usually have several excellent candidates to choose from so you really have to make yourself stand above the crowd. How do you do this?

      Prove. Easy said than done, but no better way to make yourself known than by proving great theorems. Quality counts more than quantity. Be sure to make your results public, by submitting them to sites like ECCC as well as putting them on your own homepage.

      Talk. When you give a talk, take the time to prepare, sell your work, make the talk understandable and audience-appropriate. Someone told me recently they treated every talk like a job talk. Not bad advice.

      Meet. Go to workshops and conferences not for the talks but to meet people. Don't just hang out with people from your own university. Skip some sessions, hang out in the hallways and talk to whomever is around. Reconnect with your old colleagues from graduate school and make an effort to meet new people. Have lunch and dinner with people you don't know.

      Write. Write up your research well so people enjoy rather than suffer when reading your papers. Put some effort into your introductions and really sell the importance of your work. In addition write a survey paper, write a book, write a weblog. Get others to view you as an expert in the field.

      Organize. Organize a workshop, do local arrangements for a conference or other service to the community. I don't recommend this route for assistant professors as it takes considerable time and won't help your tenure case much.

      Wait. Be patient. Your time will come.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 10/31/2005 01:27:00 PM