[Computational Complexity] Awards

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      The Nobel Prizes will be announced this week and I predict that no one will win the Nobel Prize in computer science for the 105th consecutive year. Computer Science's highest honor, the Turing Award will be announced in early 2006 (February 16 last year).

      We also have some awards coming up for theorists. At every third STOC/FOCS conference, the Knuth Prize is given for outstanding sustained contributions to theoretical computer science. We will find out the next winner at the upcoming FOCS Conference in a couple of weeks.

      Every four years the International Math Union awards the Nevanlinna Prize for contributions in "mathematical aspects of information sciences" to a scientist under forty. The previous winners have all been computer science theorists and we have several excellent candidates for the 2006 prize as well.

      ACM SIGACT sponsors or co-sponsors several other awards such as the Gödel Prize given to the best recent journal paper (where the definition of "recent" keeps changing) and the Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award given to theorists whose work had practical applications.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 10/02/2005 09:26:00 AM