[Computational Complexity] The Price of Freedom?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 9:57 AM
      An anonymous guest post.

      I was at a conference this summer where I saw several talks about distributed optimization that used the terms "social optimum" and "price of anarchy". (I believe that Christos Papadimitriou coined these terms.) Most of the speakers that I saw using these terms were European, and I found myself wondering if different terminology would have been chosen if an American theorist had initiated this line of research. (e.g., Nash only named it an "equilibrium"…) What do you readers think?

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 9/23/2005 11:55:00 AM