[Computational Complexity] A Long Time Ago in a City 800 Miles Away

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2005
      I was 13 when I went to see the first Star Wars movie on opening weekend in 1977 in New York City when it was just called "Star Wars" without a subtitle or episode number. Theater staff handed out buttons saying "May the Force be with you." We had no idea what that meant. We then entered the theater and saw a great movie.

      That first movie remains my favorite of the Star Wars series to date, with the movie's single tight finale and the "Force" more mysterious than real. Special effects in movies have gotten so good that they can no longer wow you like they could back then.

      In the early 90's a Chicago professor gave a welcome lecture to the incoming freshman and ended by saying "May the Force be with you". Most of the students had no idea what he was talking about. I felt old that day.

      As the final Star Wars chapter officially opens in the US today, my oldest daughter is only three years younger than I was when the first movie arrived. The movie has gotten good reviews and I look forward to reliving my youth, being with the Force and traveling one last time to that galaxy far far away.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/19/2005 06:43:00 AM