[Computational Complexity] Crisis in Theory Funding

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2005
      Guest Post by Boaz Barak

      The National Science Foundation (NSF) has a program called "Theory of Computing" which is the only program devoted to funding research in theoretical computer science. We use here "Theoretical Computer Science" in a broad sense, which includes research in Algorithms, Computational Complexity, Cryptography, Computational Learning, Network algorithms, etc. (Of course theoreticians can and do also apply to more application-oriented programs such as cybertrust and others)

      Although the ToC program never had a large budget, looking at the projects and people it funded throughout its history, we can safely say that it had a huge impact much beyond the boundaries of TCS and even beyond the boundaries of Computer Science at large. Indeed, much of the initial research on field-transforming concepts like Quantum Computing, Boosting of learning algorithms, Cryptographic Protocols, Interactive Proofs, and more was supported by this program.

      Unfortunately, the budget of ToC program has been more or less stagnant at approximately $7M per year since 1989 (in dollars without adjusting for inflation the ToC budget was $6.4M in 1989, $5.1M in 2004, and will be $7.2M in 2005). Needless to say, in these 15 years the costs of research (such as faculty salaries, student stipends etc.) grew even beyond the global rate of inflation. Also the overall CS budget at NSF tripled during this time. Thus the ToC program budget that was merely insufficient in 1990 and dangerously insufficient in 1999 is now at what can only be described as a crisis level. This is a situation that must be corrected if we wish our field to continue to thrive. Given TCS's achievements in the last few decades and challenges for the future, this should concern not only theoretical computer scientists.

      What can we, TCS faculty in the U.S., do to fix this?

      1. First of all, educate ourselves about the funding situation and ways to solve it. If you can, please come to the business meeting at the upcoming STOC, where these issues will be discussed.
      2. We need to participate more in the NSF, this includes reviewing proposals, participating in panels, and volunteering for positions. NSF administrators are actually quite appreciative and supportive of theory, but the situation will not change without active community involvement. In particular, please consider volunteering for the position of director of the ToC program.
      3. We need to educate others about what we do. This includes bright math-inclined high school kids who could potentially become TCS researchers, educated adults (including also other scientists), and also other computer scientists. We need more popular science books, general audience lectures, essays and op-eds.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/16/2005 02:35:00 PM