[Computational Complexity] scIenCE Princess

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 1:11 PM
      My daughters saw the movie Ice Princess over the weekend. Based on what they told me here is the basic story: Casey decides to do a science project on figure skating and uses physics and computers to help some skaters improve their routines. Casey's mom is really pushing her to science and sets up an interview for an academic scholarship to Harvard (Note to Hollywood: Ivy League rules prohibit academic scholarships). But Casey falls in love with figure skating and goes against her mother, skips the Harvard interview and follows her new dream of skating.

      I have nothing against "follow your dream" movies and Ice Princess does put science and computers in a good light, at least in the early part of the movie. But just once can't we have a movie where a young woman whose parents want her to be a great figure skater, gymnast or tennis player and instead follows her dream of becoming a scientist.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/25/2005 03:08:00 PM