[Computational Complexity] A Fine Line Between Prank and Fraud

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2005
      You have probably heard this story by now. Some MIT students created a computer-generated paper accepted to a non-reviewed session of the Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics conference. I haven't mentioned the story earlier because I didn't want to give the students extra publicity but now that the story has hit the AP wire something needs to be said: What these students did was just plain wrong.

      I'm no big fan of the SCI conference but virtually none of the conferences in computer science fully referee their submissions. A clever student could write a paper with a bogus proof and have a chance of that paper being accepted at a major conference like STOC. I would consider someone who intentionally submits a bogus paper to STOC guilty of academic fraud. Why are these MIT students any different?

      Students make mistakes and we should tell them what they did was wrong instead of just glorifying such activities.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/21/2005 09:10:00 PM