[Computational Complexity] Discussion Questions
New Balance has been heavily advertising some questions about sports so I'd thought I would give my own discussion questions about academics.
- You've been working hard on a research problem and someone else solves it. Does that make you feel happy or sad?
- Three people in an office. Two of them bounce ideas back and forth to prove a new theorem while the third just tries to keep up. Should the third person be a co-author?
- You are reviewing a paper and see an easy but major improvement to the paper's main result. What do you do?
- Your friend is applying to your university and you see that one of his recommenders wrote a weak letter. Do you tell your friend?
- Your advisor of the opposite sex has two tickets to a concert you really want to see and invites you to join him/her. Would you go?
- You discover a student wrote something strongly negative about a colleague on their weblog. What would you do, if anything?
- Would you still be a scientist if you could do research but all your work had to be published anonymously?
Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/17/2005 06:24:00 PM