[Computational Complexity] Paper Pet Peeves

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 4:59 AM
      Little things that annoy me in research papers.
      • Declarative first sentences of the introduction, like "Analyzing Left-Handed 12-SAT is a key approach to solving the P versus NP question." Just because you say it doesn't make it true.
      • "We use novel techniques that might be of independent interest." A double faux pas. You don't get to call your own techniques novel. "Might be of independent interest" is such a meaningless statement.
      • Footnotes (and parenthetical statements) which interrupt the flow of the paper. If it's not worth mentioning in the text then don't mention it.
      • Using citations as nouns like "[13] using techniques of [6] showed the main result of [4] follows easily from [18]." I hate having to keep flipping to and from the references to read these papers.
      • Using the cliché "larger than the number of atoms in the known universe." It's big. We get it.
      • Using the word "respectively" which says "I'm going to give you something hard to parse because I'm too lazy to write two sentences."
      • Titles with symbols or complexity classes: If you can't describe your research with words you might consider becoming a mathematician.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/12/2005 06:58:00 AM