[Computational Complexity] Baseball is Back

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
      A perfect spring day in Chicago and all of my afternoon meetings mysteriously canceled so I took visiting Portuguese professor and avid soccer fan Luis Antunes to his first baseball game, the Cleveland Indians against the White Sox.

      Luis was sure he would be bored. We got awesome seats behind home plate and I introduced him to the full baseball experience with Polish sausages for lunch and Take me out to the ballgame during the seventh-inning stretch. Luis knew little about baseball but pretty soon he concentrated on every pitch counting balls and strikes. During the game he even said "baseball is not quite as boring as I had feared." The experience became complete when the Sox scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth to win the game.

      Yes, baseball is back and all is good in the world.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/6/2005 05:10:00 PM

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2009
        Ahh April. Taxes are due. Chicago's winter still hasn't ended. Spring quarter classes have started and while I have fun teaching Intro Theory it still means ten weeks to summer. But then I remember: Baseball is back and all is good in the world. Something to get excited about nearly every day for the next six months and hopefully longer.

        In true Chicago fashion the first White Sox game yesterday was cancelled due to weather and will get played this afternoon. The Cubs won their first game in Houston yesterday on their likely 101st consecutive year of futility. I've also come to enjoy going to Brewers games in Milwaukee: I can drive to Miller Park in about an hour from my house, they have ample parking, a retractable dome so you don't have to worry about the weather and you can't beat the sausages: both the kind you buy in the stands and the ones who race on the field.

        What does all this have to do with Complexity? Not much. But it is Opening Day and life is good.

        --
        Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/07/2009 04:32:00 AM