[Computational Complexity] Getting an Edge

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      Using performance-enhancing drugs has become a major issue in national and international sports, most recently in Major League Baseball in America where many major players have admitted (or refused to deny) using steroids to increase their power.

      What about in academics? Supposedly some mathematicians have used amphetamines to get an edge or keep up with younger mathematicians. If we discover that a mathematician used such a performance-enhancing drug to prove a theorem would we take away his credit for that result? No, we wouldn't.

      I don't have any direct evidence that any mathematicians or computer scientists actually use any performance-enhancing drugs, other than caffeine of course. Even so I doubt many of us would agree to random drug testing of academics. But then why should professional athletes be held to a different standard than professional academics?

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/28/2005 09:10:00 AM