[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Awards

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2003
      The ACM doctoral dissertation award, given to the best doctoral thesis in computer science, was awarded to Venkatesan Guruswami for his thesis "List-Decoding on Error-Correcting Codes". Another theorist, Tim Roughgarden, was one of the runner-ups. This was definitely a great year for theory Ph.D. theses.

      Rumors are flying that theorists Ron Rivest, Adi Shami and Len Adleman won the Turing Award for their work on the RSA cryptosystem. The Turing Award is the highest honor in computer science, the closest we have to a Nobel prize.

      --
      Posted by Lance Fortnow to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 4/15/2003 6:59:49 AM