[Computational Complexity] Are we the university?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2005
      Two fellow (and slightly better known) Chicago professors Gary Becker and Richard Posner run a joint weblog on various social issues. This week they tackle the question of whether the faculty "own" a university. Becker says yes and Posner says no. I have to go with no. I believe the board of trustees acts as the owners on behalf of the "shareholders" known as alumni. Many professor do act for the betterment of the university but professors come and go are no more owners than players on a baseball team.

      Another question that comes up in discussions is who are the university's customers? Some possible answers:

      • Students. But why is their success based on their performance?
      • The Government who give the grants for research.
      • The employers of the students.
      • Society at large.
      Perhaps the mistake is in making the analogy between university and corporation.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/27/2005 10:57:00 PM