[Computational Complexity] Computer Science Recruiting

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2005
      I've already heard from several graduating students who have had few or no interviews scheduled and are really worried about finding a job next year. Don't panic yet.

      CS recruiting is not a well coordinated affair running from January to June and often beyond. Each department determines their needs and resources and invites candidates for interviews, makes some of them offers and makes later interviews and offers as the first offers are turned down or as resources change, like a current faculty member decides to go somewhere else.

      What does this mean? There is a small set of top candidates that get most of the interviews and initial offers. Some of these candidates can tie up offers for months because they are waiting for some other university to decide or they are simply indecisive and no one puts pressure on them to decide.

      For students not in this top group they will get few or no early interviews and feel like they will never get a job. The market will shake itself out and dig deeper into the applicant pool. Departments that have theory as a secondary priority will realize they can't find good candidates in their top priority and start looking at theory candidates. In short the recruiting is game is just beginning.

      Meanwhile broaden your search and look at places you may not have considered before. Work on your job talk even before you have anything scheduled and give a practice talk in your department. But mostly keep busy and get your mind off the job market. I found working hard on the thesis helps.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/18/2005 08:27:00 AM