[Computational Complexity] It's Safe to Study in America Again

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2005
      I've seen several pointers to this nice article on origami and Erik Demaine in the Science Times section of today's New York Times but also check out the editorial page.
      Thanks to pressure from prestigious academic and scientific organizations and leaders of high-tech industries, the administration added staff and streamlined the [student visa] process so clearance now takes less than two weeks, on average.

      The capstone was a policy change announced last week that made a clearance valid for four years for students and two years for working scientists, making it easier for them to stay in the country for the duration of their study or research. America's reputation for welcoming scholars from around the world can only benefit.

      We should always treat such news cautiously but hopefully these new policies will encourage more foreign students to come study in the states.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/16/2005 05:13:00 AM