[Computational Complexity] DIMACS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2005
      This week I'm in the great Garden State of New Jersey (my home state) for back to back DIMACS workshops on Bounded Rationality and Markets as Predictive Devices.

      Since 1989 DIMACS (the Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science) has greatly served our community with a collection of workshops, visitor and postdoc programs built around special years (later becoming special foci as they extended to several years). The workshops this week come under the Special Focus on Computation and the Socio-Economic Sciences. DIMACS also has a strong educational mission with programs for teacher training and for high school and undergraduate students.

      DIMACS started as a National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center and when that program ended in 2000 DIMACS continues through a series of smaller state and federal grants. DIMACS based at Rutgers has partners drawn from several New Jersey universities and research laboratories. DIMACS has a strong but small staff and many volunteers within our community but I attribute the recent continued strength of DIMACS mostly to the tireless efforts of its director Fred Roberts.

      DIMACS plays an important central organizing effort in theoretical computer science and has often represented theory to the NSF and other funding agencies. DIMACS has had an important direct and indirect role in my academic career and I suspect the careers of most theorists. Let's hope DIMACS can continue its multifaceted role in our field for decades to come.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 1/30/2005 07:00:07 PM