[Computational Complexity] The Premier of Numb3rs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2005
      Feel free to comment on last night's premier of Numb3rs, a show that has seemed to capture the interest of this community. For good reason as apparently the P versus NP problem will get mentioned on episode four, the best publicity we'll get since Homer Simpson went 3-D.

      My wife and I enjoyed the show. Charlie, the mathematician character, definitely fits within the convex hull of math types I know. I liked the scene where Charlie asked several people to position themselves randomly and remarked that they were evenly spaced while real random points would have some clusters. Viewers might actually learn some interesting mathematical concepts watching this show.

      At one point Charlie's physicist friend says something like "You are almost thirty at the peak of your game and most mathematicians only have five to six good years in them." Generally accurate but a little disheartening to this forty-one year old.

      --
      Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 1/24/2005 08:57:07 AM