[Computational Complexity] Ooscla
One of my Indian graduate students mentioned the university yookla and gets confused when I talk about Texas (not UTA) or Illinois (as opposed to UIUC which is too easily confused with UIC).
So for the foreigners out there, here is a quiz for the common names for some major American universities, which all native-born Americans know because of their sports teams.
- USC (not ooscla or USCLA)
- South Carolina (not USC)
- Wash U (not woostle) as opposed to Washington or George Washington or Wash State
- California or just Cal. Though I would never say "Cal Prof Luca Trevisan"
- UTEP this time pronounced U-tep.
- Bama as opposed to UAB
- Ole Miss
- Wisconsin as opposed to UWM
- Maryland not UMCP as opposed to UMBC
- Miami (FL) as opposed to Miami (OH)
Posted by Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/17/2004 03:43:33 PM