[My Computational Complexity Weblog] Suggestions to Program Committees

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2004
      A program committee member who asked me to review a paper pointed me to Oded Goldreich's Suggestions to Program Committees, one of his Essays and Opinions. In his suggestions he gives a reasonable interpretation to the usual ten point scoring system. A few minor quibbles: I would never score a paper a ten (which represents unattainable perfection) nor would I ever resign from a program committee, certainly not over a single paper.

      The ends of the scale are not so important; a PC does not distinguish between the excellent papers from the merely great nor does it distinguish between the merely bad and the truly lousy but instead a PC must distinguish the pretty good papers from other pretty good papers.

      Later on Oded strongly supports using "ex-submission information" in evaluating proposal even to the point of actively contacting authors for clarification during the review process. While PC members do not live in a vacuum and will be exposed to results they have to later review, actively contacting authors is patently unfair as it favors authors with whom you have a working relationship. Authors who cannot give enough information in the submission for the PC to properly evaluate the work deserve to have their paper rejected.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Weblog at 11/29/2004 10:51:01 PM