[My Computational Complexity Web Log] The Polar Express

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2004
      I went with my family to see the movie The Polar Express. This movie blurs the line between between acting and animation. Tom Hanks played several characters including a young boy by wearing sensors on his face and body that recorded his expressions and then used for the computer generated characters on the screen. I had trouble explaining to my children (and my wife) how Tom Hanks played the boy even though someone else did the voice. Where in a more traditional computer animated movie like The Incredibles, the actors doing the voices get the credit.

      We saw The Polar Express on an IMAX screen in 3-D. Since computers stored the entire movie, converting the film to 3-D could be an automated process. I predicted to my unbelieving children that when they grow up they will not be able to distinguish between computer generated film and those filmed live. Perhaps all movies then will be stored in some specific format like papers in PDF today that could be easily converted and optimized to whatever display device a person has.

      Unless you have small children, I would recommend The Incredibles over The Polar Express. Technology does not win over substance. But I have seen the future and it is cool.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 11/15/2004 01:28:52 PM