[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Nothing Like a Deadline to Ruin Your Day

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2004
      Some upcoming deadlines: STOC (11/4), Complexity (11/18), Electronic Commerce (12/7), the new NSF program Theoretical Foundations (1/5), and ICALP (2/13). Feel free to comment if I've missed something.

      Since computer science takes its conferences more seriously than the journals and most conferences have hard deadlines, we have become a deadline-driven field. Most authors submit their papers on the deadline day, if not in the last hour or two. Papers get written to meet a deadline which has both good and bad aspects: good in that papers get written and bad in that they get written quickly and often incompletely.

      Sometimes conference organizers see a lack of submissions (forgeting that most papers come on deadline day) and extend the deadline by a few days or a week. I've often heard people complain about losing their weekends if a deadline moves from Friday to Monday. Why? You could still submit on Friday. People feel their papers are never complete and they need to keep fixing it up until the last possible second even though these last minute changes will not likely affect acceptance.

      One person I knew once turned down an opportunity to attend a workshop because of a grant deadline on the same week. This was six months beforehand. A little planning is all that's needed to submit the grant one week early but some in our field cannot pull this off even months ahead of time.

      Remember that deadlines are upper bounds, no shame in submitting early. And it's not the end of the world if you miss a deadline; there's always another conference with another deadline right around the corner.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/26/2004 11:23:32 AM