[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Is the Internet Harming Dagstuhl?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2004
      Dagstuhl was designed as a place to bring a small group of researchers to an isolated environment where they could give some talks, discuss research and otherwise socialize among themselves free from other distractions. No televisions though a radio bought to hear news during the 1991 Gulf War. We could get two-day old news from America via the Herald Tribune. While they had computer rooms, in the early days we had no world wide web and email was far less used. Instead we had rooms for coffee, rooms for beer and wine, rooms for billiards and music and rooms just to hang out. Everyone stayed on premises and we had no phones in rooms, just a couple communal phones to call home.

      Although Dagstuhl has expanded, rooms not only have phones but WiFi throughout. We can answer email, read news, write weblog posts (as I am doing now) from the comfort of our own isolated desks. We're watching baseball games and the debate over the internet. But worse than being connected, the rest of the world knows we're connected. I find myself having to take time to fix problem sets for my class and deal with departmental issues as do many of my other colleagues here.

      The internet has greatly helped science by bringing us closer together but also prevents us from being disconnected losing many of the advantages of these workshops. A sign here proclaims "Are you here for computer networking or human networking?" Something to remember next time you go to a conference.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/13/2004 10:51:14 AM