[My Computational Complexity Web Log] NP-Completeness for a 9-Year Old

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
      My nine-year old daughter had a homework problem with the following diagram.

      She had no problem solving questions like: Beginning and ending at the entrance, describe the shortest route you can take that will allow you to see 4 different kinds of animals.

      "You're doing computer science," I said.

      "I don't see any computers," she responded.

      "Computer science is problem solving like finding the shortest path."

      "Then computer science is pretty easy."

      "OK, is there a way to visit every animal exactly once?"

      She found this question much more challenging.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/7/2004 07:18:55 PM

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        My nine-year old daughter had a homework problem with the following diagram.

        She had no problem solving questions like: Beginning and ending at the entrance, describe the shortest route you can take that will allow you to see 4 different kinds of animals.

        "You're doing computer science," I said.

        "I don't see any computers," she responded.

        "Computer science is problem solving like finding the shortest path."

        "Then computer science is pretty easy."

        "OK, is there a way to visit every animal exactly once?"

        She found this question much more challenging.

        --
        Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/7/2004 07:18:42 PM

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          My nine-year old daughter had a homework problem with the following diagram.

          She had no problem solving questions like: Beginning and ending at the entrance, describe the shortest route you can take that will allow you to see 4 different kinds of animals.

          "You're doing computer science," I said.

          "I don't see any computers," she responded.

          "Computer science is problem solving like finding the shortest path."

          "Then computer science is pretty easy."

          "OK, is there a way to visit every animal exactly once?"

          She found this question much more challenging.

          --
          Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/7/2004 07:18:49 PM

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
            My nine-year old daughter had a homework problem with the following diagram.

            She had no problem solving questions like: Beginning and ending at the entrance, describe the shortest route you can take that will allow you to see 4 different kinds of animals.

            "You're doing computer science," I said.

            "I don't see any computers," she responded.

            "Computer science is problem solving like finding the shortest path."

            "Then computer science is pretty easy."

            "OK, is there a way to visit every animal exactly once?"

            She found this question much more challenging.

            --
            Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 10/7/2004 07:18:47 PM