[My Computational Complexity Web Log] The Blue State of Science

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2004
      I usually avoid politics in this weblog but I cannot totally ignore the US presidential election happening slightly more than a month from now. But nothing I will say would make much difference; nearly all computer scientists, and I expect most scientists, will vote for Kerry (or would vote for Kerry if they were US citizens). It's not based on a single issue. If we never went to war in Iraq, the economy were booming, Osama Bin Laden was behind bars and Bush supported a women's right to choose, you would all still vote for Kerry.

      What makes scientists so liberal? Why doesn't a field like computer science draw from a wide political spectrum? Does this liberal attitude stifle real political debate in scientific departments or even worse discourage those with more conservative views from entering our field?

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 9/26/2004 08:36:55 AM