[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Which Affiliation?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2004
      Dieter van Melkebeek and I had a mild disagreement over an issue in writing a paper and he suggested I discuss it on my weblog. So here goes.

      We're working on a journal version of a paper where we did the research back when we were both in New Jersey (Dieter is now on the Wisconsin faculty). Dieter listed our current institutions on the paper. I think that we should list our institutional affiliation when we performed the research, or more precisely the place paying the salary at that time. I don't feel that strongly about the issue so I am letting Dieter have his way, especially since he did the vast majority of the writing. I did ask that we have footnotes explaining our affiliations at the time of the research. (As a side note, footnotes should also contain other support information such as grants, where one was physically located when the research was done if different and contact information, though these days one needs only know how to spell my name correctly when using Google).

      So I'll open this up to my readers. Which affiliation should one use? Or are we just arguing over an issue that nobody really cares about?

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 9/9/2004 05:15:03 PM