[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Just Because I'm a Scientist Doesn't Mean I Know Anything

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2004
      My six-year old daughter playing with her friend on the computer ran into some problems. So she found me in the house and said, "Daddy, I know you are a computer scientist so you know everything about computers and we need you to fix our game."

      I've learned to expect this attitude from adults. Often when I talk to a non-academic about being a computer scientist I get responses like, "Should I get Windows or a Mac?", "I was thinking of setting up a wireless network." or "What do you think of that Google IPO?". Of course this is on top of them thinking I have a cushy academic job teaching three hours a week with summers off.

      For my daughter I just went ahead and fixed her problem. I know when she becomes a teenager she'll run circles around me on the computer and will say "When I was a kid I thought you know everything about computers. What do you computer scientists do anyway?" Then we can talk.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 9/8/2004 09:00:59 AM