[My Computational Complexity Web Log] What happened to the future?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2004
      Disney World has two areas originally designed to give a glimpse of "the future", Tommorowland in Magic Kingdom and Future World at EPCOT, which itself once stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. These areas give somewhat a nostalgic view of the future from the time of my childhood but not of the future from today.

      Not only has society's view of the future changed but even the view about the future has changed. We live in an era of massive changes in technology particularly in access to communication and information. In the "Spaceship Earth" ride that shows the history and future of communications, the future shows two kids seeing and playing games with each other through video monitors, a task easily accomplished today with webcam-equipped networked PCs. But the ride missed many aspects of computers and the web. Who would have thought when I was a kid that I would now be writing this post on a commuter train that soon will be read around the world.

      On the other hand we also dreamed of flying cars and space planes but the technology of transportation has not significantly changed since I was born and I don't expect major changes in the next forty years. So the future has come but not quite as we expected.

      Technology has made the world a more homogeneous place. When at the Norway pavilion at EPCOT, an American visitor asked a Disney worker from Norway about what the country was like to visit. "The towns are like mid-size American cities" was the reply. I guess it is a small world after all.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 8/27/2004 07:06:47 AM