[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Larry Stockmeyer

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 2:22 PM
      We lost a great complexity theorist over the weekend. From Phokion Kolaitis:
      It is with great sadness that I write to inform you that Larry Stockmeyer passed away. He died at his home as he had wished when he fell terminally ill a few weeks ago.

      Larry was one of the pioneers of computational complexity who made fundamental and lasting contributions to the field. His death creates a void in our community that cannot be filled.

      Indeed Stockmeyer developed many of the important early concepts in complexity such as alternation and the polynomial-time hierarchy, concepts that have laid the foundation for many important works in computational complexity. He had a number of great results throughout his career in complexity and nearly all areas of theoretical computer science. Our community has lost one of its giants.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 8/2/2004 04:19:49 PM